ASL Tutoring Policy
Read this prior your first appointment:
1. Show up on time - not too early. I have a ten minutes waiting policy - if you are late after 10 minutes it's a NO SHOW and no refund.
If I am unintentionally a no-show, your next session is free. Note: I work only the first three weeks of each month. I'm available from Monday to Thursday, 10am to 6pm MST.
2. Web-cam students - You can pick any of these web-cam options:Skype, Gmail-chat, N-Touch (Sorenson), FaceTime or Convo Mobile. Make sure to have the best web-cam device, a direct cable connection of a high speed internet connection for better reception. Let me know via email which device you'll use & your ID - become familiar with the program before our appointment.
3. Payment must be first received before proceeding with lessons. Most new students who has already taken an ASL course need an ASL evaluation which is $45/hr interview to determine what areas you need help in. Pay once a month for all sessions required.
Any extra or overtime extensions on my part must be paid in full before the next session. I will send an invoice. If you do not pay what you owe, sessions will be terminated on a permanent basis.
Use Pay-Pal for payments.
WHEN TO PAY: Pay early in the morning within the same day your first appointment of the month is reserved. See rates in the rates tab. Once a month advanced Pay-Pal payment is required.
New students need to fill out the student's profile form, email me your address and I'll mail it to you and send the completed form back to me.
4. Be prepared:
Write down all of your goals; questions and bring work/books, props, pen & complete homework or learn your materials in advance.
5. Cancellation must be made 72 to 24 hours in advance via email. Last minute cancellation is a no-show = no refund.
You're responsible for scheduling & remembering your own appointments.
Email to let me know if you wish to meet weekly, bi-weekly or tri-weekly or once a month.
6. In person students: no chewing gum, no smoking, no fragrance and no "loud" shirts & no cell phone.
I do not make visits to school campuses, students' homes, or other public places - sessions take place at my office. Email me for my address.
Web-cam students: make sure your room is well lit, wear a solid colored shirt, video frame captures your entire upper body (belly button up to the top of your head) and have a plain wall in the background.
7. No interruptions from others during a session.
8. This site is provided on an "AS IS" basis and ASL MasterTutor disclaims all responsibility for any loss, liability, injury, claim, or damage of any kind resulting from any errors in this website and its content including, but not limited to, typographical and technical errors and inaccuracies and during in person sessions.
9. All notes given by RaVen Sequoia are strictly confidential & you cannot share, copy, or distribute to anyone else.
10. Read DVD Rental Policy _here_.
Highlight, cut and paste this policy to your email and provide a signature with a statement & a date that you read, understand & respect this policy.
What to expect in ASL Tutoring...
For those who wish to become an ASL interpreter - I help SLIP students enhance their ASL interpreting skills.
Plus I offer a lot of moral support.
For those who are learning ASL to converse with your Deaf loved ones or a co-worker - I use a floating curriculum and we will practice conversing ASL in what interests you personally.
Using the guideline of ACTFL with Language Hunter's Skills:
(American Council of Teaching Foreign Language)-I steadily guide students to advance their receptive and expressive skills from novice to superior skills- this is a usually self-paced long term committed arrangement and has been highly successful.
I also enjoy assisting those who need help with translating English songs or stories into ASL.
Email for an appointment now.
ASL Storytelling via VP-200 or Skype
I offer a once a month ASL Bed-time story for children who signs via a videophone or Skype - to arrange an appointment email me.
$10.00 15 minutes
$15.00 half hour
$25.00 an hour
All parents or guardians are required to attend and supervise their child for in person or web-cam sessions.
My absolute favorites are:
1) The Giving Tree (7 years & up)
2) Mischief In The Forest (5 years & up)
3) The Very Hungry Caterpillar (Infant & up)
4) Stone Soup (7 years & up)
5) Goodnight Moon (1 years old & up)
6) You and Me Baby (1 to 3 years old)
Regular ASL tutoring rate: $25.00/hour
Testimonial from a mentee:
RaVen, I was just told today that I did pass my evaluations. I wanted to send you a huge THANK YOU for all of your help. I know without you I wouldn't have done as well as I did.
Thank you so much for all your patience and working so hard with me to improve my skills. I do know I still have a lot to learn and more to improve.